Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Classic/Trendy

10-20-08 Front and Back Views

I was so tickled with my outfit yesterday that I had to share it. I am loving that argyle is in right now (I remember getting an argyle sweater vest as a birthday gift from my neighbors when I was 7 or 8 in the early 80s and it was a prized possession). I've had these tights for a couple of years, but have generally worn them with long boots so you only get a little peak, as it's a whole lot of argyle going on. But now that it's in style I could wear them full on.

Although this outfit is totally trendy right now, I've actually had most of the pieces for years. The belt is probably the oldest; I got it from WalMart 5 or 6 years ago. My mom gave me the sweater (cashmere!) for Christmas a couple years ago from Target. I made the skirt 2 or 3 years ago, Simplicity 5914; I love that pattern and have made three skirts of it so far (boucle version). The tights, as mentioned, are 2 or 3 years old--I got them from the H&M girls' department. The 13-14 year old size are around the same as the smallest adult size of tights. The shoes are the only new part, Fitzwell Willow from 6pm.com. They come in several sensational colors; I got gold and teal and am really tempted to go back for more. But add up all these pieces I've had for a while and it's totally au courant.

I love how you can put together classic pieces in a trendy way. My style, as you know, is "retro fantasy," not classic at all. I appreciate and admire a woman with timeless style, but I am not satisfied by elegance--I want pizzazz. Even the most respectable off-white cashmere cardigan is not safe in my hands. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

10 comments:

senaSews said...

what a cute outfit! I love the mix of romantic (skirt and cardi) with the twist of the argyle.

Anonymous said...

very cute! I like the argyle tights look great with your shoes too. And you have to love the pink!

--also, the rick rack is an organza from Vogue Fabrics. they have a good selection of trims and esp. ribbons!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Love the skirt, but especially LOVE those tights. H&M is a fun store.

Maryissewfast said...

Love the look...you have such a fun sense of style! Mary

Lisette M said...

Love the look!

Sue said...

I love your sense of fun in everything you do - if you are ever our way, come out for a day with the girls we would have such a great time - Sue, Qld, Australia...

-E said...

mmmmm... hosiery :) I love loud legs :)

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit and the way you look in it-your clothes, sewn by you or otherwise, seem especially suited to your figure and personality. It's all the makings of my idea of great style.

vespabelle said...

I love argyle tights. I don't know if I can wear full on argyle, but I have a pair with a single column of pattern down the outside.

badmomgoodmom said...

I want those shoes!